Join us      ●       Archive      ●      Partnerships      ●      Contact

[Lisa] Hans the Brave

The person who has always fascinated me the most is my father, Hans Stoeckli. He was a man of many contrasts. He was an only child, growing up in a dysfunctional home. After his father died when he was nine years old, Hans was sent to live in foster homes, some of which were abusive.

Baby Lisa in the arms of her father, Hans
When Hans grew up, he chose to leave his unhappy life behind, and he emigrated to the United States at age 20. A few years later, he married my mother, a divorcee with four children. Having grown up as an only child, my father was delighted to marry into a ready-made family. Heloved his step-children very much, and he and my mother had three more children.

My father, probably choosing to escape any traces of his city childhood, raised his large family on a hobby farm far from the city. Hans, growing up in a family lacking many outward signs of love, became the loving, nurturing parent, always attending to the needs of each member of his family.

My father always loved animals and people. He talked to his farm animals as if they were his children.  At church, he was always taking care of the elderly people of the congregation, holding doors for them, taking them food, and helping them to their cars.

After the last child was born, my mother found an address for her mother-in-law and sent her a letter, explaining where Hans was, and what his life was like. This gesture became very important because soon afterward, my grandmother planned a short trip to visit our family. It was a healing time for her and my father. A few years later she passed away, and I was always glad that my father was able to make amends with his mother, to close that last gap of unhappiness in his life.

My father was an incredible person. He was able to create a wonderful, loving life for himself and his family, overcoming his unhappy early life. He taught me that no matter what cards we are dealt in life, there is always hope that we can work to change our circumstances for the better.

Lisa Thurston from USA

1 comment: