Join us      ●       Archive      ●      Partnerships      ●      Contact

[James] A quick smile on board

"Better than a thousand days of diligent study, is one day with a great teacher" - Japanese proverb.

From the left: Dave and James
The usual suspects will not be considered as they have earned their respect based on bonds formed in childhood, family connections, work, stardom or religion. There are two people, of the over two million whom I've interacted with and photographed who stand out as being among the most fascinating people I have ever met; I will only mention my mentor, Master Photographer Monte Zucker as one. However, a gentleman named Dave, will be discussed in a little more detail.

Dave was a guest who sailed for three cruises on board one of the ships that I was working on, a senior citizen with a quick smile, a hearty greeting and a pleasant conversationalist. He seemed to be able to engage everyone he met with charming ease and was always ready with a funny anecdote. On his second week's cruise, he walked through the photo gallery and noticing him I expressed my pleasure at having him back. He shared that he saw me on the jogging track in the morning; he had finished his run when I was just starting, we made arrangements to meet the next day. I arrived to find that he had completed a mile; we fell in together in an easy going pace and for the first time since I had started working out in order to reduce my weight, blood pressure and other health issues, I found that I had the lung capacity to actually jog and talk at the same time! Before I knew it, I had been out there for almost 20 minutes over my usual time. It took a couple more sessions before I realized that it was Dave's easy going pace making the difference in my routine; I gained without pain.

Dave taught me that one can have a positive effect on a stranger by being open and pleasant, most of all, Dave taught me that the best way to care for yourself, to improve yourself, was to slow down a little and take things easy. This from a little Jewish man who began jogging 5 years prior to meeting me, and who was now 67 years old and jogging six miles every morning with effortless ease. When I grow up, I want to be just like Dave!

James B. Solomon from Trinidad and Tobago

No comments:

Post a Comment